A Brief History of the Authority

In 1952, the Borough of Pleasant Hills created the Pleasant Hills Authority by ordinance to plan and provide wastewater treatment facilities for the Borough of Pleasant Hills.

Between 1952 and 1959, the service area of the Authority was expanded to include portions of the Boroughs of Baldwin and Whitehall and portions of the Township of South Park. Additionally, the sewer system to convey and treat the sewage for these municipalities was planned and constructed. The sewer system included approximately 11.5 miles of interceptor sewer, Lewis Run Pump Station and a 3.0 MGD sewage treatment plant located on Cochran Mill Rd in South Park Township. In 1961 and 1965, the service area was expanded to include portions of the Municipality of Bethel Park and portions of the Borough of Jefferson.

In 1982, the Sunrise Drive Pump Station was constructed to replace a length of interceptor sewer that was crushed and inoperable.
Because of the population growth, additional commercial development and increased regulations, the Lewis Run Pump Station and sewage treatment plant were expanded and upgraded from 1988-1990. The capacity of Lewis Run Pump Station capacity was increased to 4.1 MGD and the sewage treatment plant capacity was increased to 5.0 MGD.

In 1999, chlorine gas disinfection system was replaced with an ultraviolet light (UV) disinfection system to comply with stringent new regulations and to remove the hazards of operating with chlorine gas.